2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2021 11:39 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Harry & John Smith

    marvin smith Newbie

      I am looking for Military records of Navy veteran Harry Smith & his brother, Army veteran John Smith. both born in Barber County, Alabama according to  the 1940 Census Records.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Harry & John Smith
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr. Smith,


          can you provide any additional information? DOB, would really be helpful since "Smith" is a very common last name.







          • Re: Seeking military records of Harry & John Smith
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Smith,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete two GSA Standard Form 180s and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please submit separate forms for each veteran whose records you are requesting. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire.


            Military personnel records are completely opened to the public 62 years after the veteran leaves the military. If less than 62 years have passed since the veteran’s discharge date (to include any reserve time), certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!