4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2021 12:24 AM by marvin smith

Seeking any information on the family of Mattie Smith

marvin smith Newbie

I am looking for any information on the family of Mattie Smith. Mattie was born in Barber County, Alabama in March 1881.

• Re: Seeking any information on the family of Mattie Smith
          Susannah Brooks Navigator

Could you give us a bit more information about Mattie?  Is Smith her maiden or married surname?   If her maiden name, what was her husband's or childrens' names?  If her married name, what was her maiden name or who were her husband and children?  There are quite a few Mattie Smith's in Alabama born about the same time. 

The was a Mattie Smith born 1878 living in Spring Hill, Barbour Co, AL in 1880.  Her parents were Alex & Dilsy Smith.  Without more information I don't know if this is the person you are looking for.

1 person found this helpful
              marvin smith Newbie

Hello Ms. Brooks, thank u for the reply. I'll answer your questions as best I can . According to the death certificate i have. She was born in Barber County ALA. on March 8, 1881 I don't know the town. Her Father's name was Alex Smith  her Mom's first is unknown but her maiden was Allen . I don't know how many sibling came out of this union but I remember my Dad say a sister Getrude & Mary. no mention of brothers.I found out in later years that my Grandmother(Mattie) was married twice her first husband was Smith also first name unknown .From this union James , Clifford ,Gertrude & Pearl .The next spouse was also Smith my Dad told us she was married to  a Smith and her #2 was a Smith also ? From the #2 marriage there was Sam but he said everybody called him (Trill) he suffered a bad facial burn when a baby next there was Harry& Walter his son, Joe Nathan & his wife Essie 2 kids James & John., St. Joseph the youngest boy & Donella the baby & she would up marrying some one with a last Ruffin . All these siblings were born in ALA. Some moved on and resettled in other places .My Dad was born in Hurtsboro , ALA Oct 7,1909 or 1910. I  forgot one other brother John. Well I hope this little bit of info can help me find out something , Dad never talked a lot about his family . Thank U Marvin Smith

Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1890 Census; the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and  the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain information about Mattie Smith and her family in Barbour County, Alabama.  The 1940 Census schedules are digitized and available using the Catalog. For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

We also suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wikis for Barbour County, Alabama Genealogy and Alabama Vital Records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful