2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2021 10:03 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Specialist Stephen Paul Harris

    Luke Sowieralski Wayfarer

      Hello, my cousin, Stephen Paul Harris, was in the Military Police in the Army and served in the Vietnam War. He was born on March 11, 1945 and died on October 4, 1970 in Renton Washington. Do you have his military records?

        • Re: Seeking military records of Specialist Stephen Paul Harris
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information to help you out. I would contact your uncle if you would like to obtain his records and submit the information to the NPRC in St. Louis use Form-180. Currently, the NPRC is only processing "Emergency Requests" because of the pandemic. Please wait until they resume normal operations.




          • Re: Seeking military records of Specialist Stephen Paul Harris
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Sowieralski,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the next of kin. The next of kin can be any of the following: Surviving spouse who has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!