1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2021 2:10 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking collection of Rell Clements Photographs

Brian Nicely Wayfarer

Is there an archive/collection of Rell (RS) Clements photographs?  Rell (RS) Clements was an American photographer prior to and during WWII. He was known for his ability to make panoramic photos. He did a lot of work around Lakehurst, NJ and North Carolina. I have 2ea unit photos that he is the photographer of, and would like to see if there are others.   The 2ea I have are Battery photos of the 270th Field Artillery Battalion while training at Camp Butner, NC circa 1943/44. The photos I have are numbered 1740 and 1741.  I assume that there are 1742 and 1743 to represent the other 2ea Batteries assigned to the Battalion.  Example of 1741 below

• Re: Seeking collection of Rell Clements Photographs
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Nicely,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Panoramic Views of Army Units, Camps, Installations, and Related Industrial Sites, 1917-1919 in the Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs (Record Group 165) that includes some photographs by Rell S. Clements. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stilpix@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We also identified multiple records related to Clements in WorldCat, and there are 5 images available online via the Library of Congress. In addition, you may be interested in the Collection: TVA Photographs by Rell Clements and two other collections with photographs by Rell Clements at the Knoxville County Library in Tennessee.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!