5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2021 9:10 AM by David Barth Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking medical records of my grandfather

    David Barth Newbie

      Grandfather was a member of Battery D, 319th Field Artillery, 82nd Division and was gassed during WWI. How can I track this information down?

        • Re: Seeking medical records of my grandfather
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mr, Barth


          Here are some photos of 82nd members treating their gassed soldiers at a field hospital.



          Black and white photograph. Signal Corps #22015. Typed on a white strip on the bottom of the photograph states: "Nurse of the 326th field hospital bathing the eyes of the gassed patients from the 82nd and 89th Divisions. North of Royaumeix, France, August 8, 1918."






          Black and white photograph. Signal Corps #22011. Typed on a white strip on the bottom of the photograph states: "Trucks were pressed into service when the 82nd and 89th Divisions were gassed. Unloading truck at field hospital No. 326. North of Royaumeix, France, August 8, 1918."


          • Re: Seeking medical records of my grandfather
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Barth,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            We are not certain that there are any permanent records that would provide the exact information you are looking for but there are some records that might provide some information.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Morning Reports, ca. 1912 - 1946 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) that may include morning reports for your grandfather’s unit. A morning report summarizes the reporting unit's military daily strength and lists any status changes in assigned personnel. Morning reports may contain the following types of information: strength of the unit, ration account, remarks concerning the military service members. The report typically details name, rank, arm of service, service number, and any changes to unit strength by listing a brief description of the change (i.e., discharge, reassignment, hospitalization, absence, and return from absence) for affected service members. 


            We also located 5 record series in the Records of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (Record Group 15) that contain veterans claims files which may include claims related to disability resulting from gas attacks.


            For more information about the records listed above, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Next, we located Records of Divisions, ca. 1918 - 1942 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that include records of the 82nd Division in Entry P 1241-82. Boxes 23-24 contain 319th Field Artillery records, and Boxes 75-76, which contain files pertaining to "severely" and "slightly" wounded 82nd Division soldiers. Additionally, we located Field Artillery Regiments Numbers 1 through 351, 1912 - 1930 in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391).  These regimental and division records may include references to gas attacks and/or lists or numbers regarding injured soldiers, but we can not guarantee that they document details about every injury of every individual soldier. In addition, we located Records of Medical Units and Offices of Infantry Divisions, 1917 - 1919 in Record Group 120 but please note that unit records or medical units generally address the general histories and activities of the unit as a whole and do not include clinical records for individual patients.  For more information about Record Group 120 and Record Group 391 records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Finally, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1959 and officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!