1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 12, 2021 7:59 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking FBI Denver field office records

Katharine McGiveran Newbie

I am wondering how to access the FBI's Denver field office files (Record Group: 65; Series: Classification 157 (Civil Unrest) Case Files, 1957 - 1978). Do these require specific FOIA requests? I have specific case numbers for the investigations I am interested in. I'm just not sure what the procedure is for access.

• Re: Seeking FBI Denver field office records
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Ms. McGiveran,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The series Classification 157 (Civil Unrest) Case Files, 1957-1978 in the Records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (Record Group 65) is in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). The records have not been digitized. For access to and information about these records, please contact RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov. You may use the "search within this series" button in the Catalog entry to identify specific files of interest. When you submit your request to RDT2, please include as much information about the records you are searching for as possible (e.g. case number, file name). Also, you may explore other series created by the Denver (Colorado) Field Office in the Catalog.

Access to some of the records in the series may be restricted under Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) exemptions FOIA (b)(1) National Security, Secret; FOIA (b)(6) Personal Information; and/or FOIA (b)(7) Law Enforcement. RDT2 can help you determine whether you need to submit a FOIA request. More information about the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is located on NARA’s website.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!