4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2021 4:37 PM by Elizabeth Baker

    Seeking OMPF of Lester Dale Shook

    Elizabeth Baker Newbie

      I am seeking military personnel records of my father, Lester Dale Shook. He served in the Navy & the Army.



        • Re: Seeking OMPF of Lester Dale Shook
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Ms. Baker,


          Here is some additional information.



          He worked as a chemist during World War II from 1942 – 1943. He served in the Army, Navy and the Marines. He was an instructor of physics at Jamestown College from 1943 -1944. He interned at Bethesda Hospital in St Paul, MN from 1947 – 1948. He finished his radiology residency in Kansas City, MO in 1953. He was a physician in Riverdale, ND, from 1948 – 1950. From 1950 – 1955 he served as a physician at Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, CA. He worked as a radiologist at the Fargo Clinic from 1955 – 1967 and in Jamestown from 1968- 1969. He returned to Fargo to finish his career in radiology. He taught radiology technologists and medical students for many years and was a Fellow in the American College of Radiology.



          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking OMPF of Lester Dale Shook
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Ms. Baker,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful