2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2021 2:56 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking Silver & Bronze Star citations for Joseph O'Malley

    Kate Snyder Newbie

      Joseph P O'Malley served with the 34th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division and was KIA on May 5, 1945 in the Philippines. His Army Service Number was 32258676. He was a recipient of the Silver Star (General Order 50) and the Bronze Star. I am interested in the citation and circumstances surrounding the issuing of these awards. He was my mother's first husband. Can you help in finding the circumstances under which these awards were earned? Our family would be very grateful.

        • Re: Seeking Silver & Bronze Star citations for Joseph O'Malley
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Ms. Snyder,


          Here is some information below. What your looking for is in College Park, MD and you can request the following that your looking for GO #50 HQ 24th Infantry Division. This is located within RG 407 and you can request but may receive a delay in response until they resume normal operations. For access to and copies of these records, please contact the National Archives in College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov



          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Silver & Bronze Star citations for Joseph O'Malley
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Ms. Snyder,


            Thank you for posting your request to the History Hub!


            We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes general orders of the 24th Infantry Division for 1945 and operation reports of the 35th Infantry Regiment for 1945. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            His citations would have been placed in his OMPF. If you haven’t already done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

            The information you seek may also be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

            We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



            Holly Rivet

            1 person found this helpful