11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2021 3:36 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking a copy of my father's Bronze Star citation

Tamasin Sterner Newbie

My father was a sergeant during WWII. He received a Bronze Star but doesn't have the citation letter anymore. He needs it for his gravesite plaque. How do I get a copy of the letter?

• Re: Seeking a copy of my father's Bronze Star citation
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ms. Sterner,

If you have his discharge papers look look for General Order also known as GO. If you this is listed on the discharge papers it should be sufficient enough to have them put it on the grave marker. But usually the higher command such as a division would issue these orders and not at a regimental level.

If you have additional information on your father please share, many of us here can help assist.

Elliot Schneider

Tamasin Sterner Newbie

Thanks.  My father is alive.  His Bronze Star was awarded after the war, about 2005. It was awarded to all who had the combat infantry badge.   He doesn't have the letter anymore.  He needs the letter in order for the cemetary to put the Bronze Star on his plaque when he dies.  Can anyone help me?

Lisa Sharik Adventurer

A request has to be made, not sure of the correct current address but here is the AR

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

Army Regulation, AR 600-8-22-

(2) Award may be made to each member of the Armed Forces of the United States who, after 6 December 1941, has been cited in orders or awarded a certificate for exemplary conduct in ground combat against an armed enemy between 7 December 1941 and 2 September 1945, inclusive, or whose meritorious achievement has been otherwise confirmed by documents executed prior to 1 July 1947. For this purpose, an award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge is considered as a citation in orders. Documents executed since 4 August 1944 in connection with recommendations for the award of decorations of higher degree than the Bronze Star Medal will not be used as the basis for an award under this paragraph.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ms. Sterner,

What's his name?, you said he was issued this in 2005 posthumously. You may want to contact the Army Human resources command and speak with ADB.I heard heard years ago that service members with CIBs Combat Infantry Badges were requesting Bronze Star Awards if they did not receive one during the war for their actions.

Awards and Decorations Branch Information:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command

ATTN: AHRC-PDP-A, Dept. 480

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue

Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408

COMM: 502-613-9126

DSN: 983-9126

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
                  Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Ms. Sterner,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!

The Bronze Star Medal was automatically awarded to service members of WWII who were awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge.  If you have a copy of his separation document (WD AGO 53-55), please check boxes 31 - 33 and 55 for mention of this award. 

Otherwise, we suggest that you contact the U. S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDR-VIB, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402. The telephone number is 1-888-276-9472; email address is askhrc.army@us.army.mil; and the web site is www.hrc.army.mil.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

Tamasin Sterner Newbie

His Discharge papers, line 31, list Rifle M1 SS 178 7 April 1944.  Line 33 state American Theatre Ribbon, European African Middle Eastern Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal, Purple Heart.   Line 55 states, Lapel Button Issued.  Carbine Ex 182, Victory Medal.

Does this mean he is eligible for the Bronze Star?  If so, how do I get it for him?

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Ms, Sterner,

It might be worth calling but typically if a solider dose not have in his discharge paperwork showing that he was issued a Combat Infantry Badge then chances are they might not accept. It would be listed on line #31 of his discharge. I was under the impression that he was awarded the Bronze Star Posthumously in 2005?

I think what your trying to say is that his original discharge did not have it on the document. Then in 2005 they issued him the award Posthumously, based on his service. If this was the case a General Order from the Department of the Army would have been issued and a correction made to his discharge on what today is most commonly called a DD215 correction. That would be filled within his OMPF.

Just a little bit about the line 31. He was considered a M1 Sharp Shooter (SS), and Expert (EX) on The Carbine.

What unit did he serve?

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Sterner,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

The portion of the document you quote does not include a mention of the Combat Infantry Badge.  Please contact the U. S. Army Human Resources Command at the address provided by Ms. Rivet in her reply for further assistance.  When you email them, please attach full scans of any paperwork you have regarding your father’s discharge and awards. 

While a copy of the paperwork regarding your father’s recent awarding of the Bronze Star may have been provided to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.