1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2021 12:50 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking specific PWA project information

Sampson Parsons Newbie

Hello, I'm hoping to find information related to a specific Public Works Administration project done in my hometown. I believe I have the PWA Project number, shown on an engineering drawing. I'm looking for tips on how to locate specific PWA project information. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks much.

• Re: Seeking specific PWA project information
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Mr. Parsons,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 77 series related to projects in the Records of the Public Works Administration (PWA) (Record Group 135). Some of these records are arranged by project number or by location. Any additional information you have about the project like the date or the type of project (e.g. federal, non-federal, school) could also help in narrowing down the search. Most of these records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives unit listed in the Catalog descriptions for access to or information about specific records. When you submit your inquiry, please include as much information as possible about the project you are researching.

We suggest that you use the Advanced Search function of The National Archives Catalog to search for specific records related to your research. You can narrow the results by record group (e.g. Record Group 135), by date, by type of record, and more. You also might be interested in the Records of the Works Project Administration (Record Group 69), which includes some records related to the PWA.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, you may also wish to contact your local county or state historical society to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!