2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2021 4:01 PM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking information & photo of Elwin Rowell

    Elwyn Smith Newbie

      I am looking for information about and photos of Elwin Howard Rowell while at Camp Croft, SC during 1943-1944.

        • Re: Seeking information & photo of Elwin Rowell
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Ms. Smith,


          Please follow link for website and search for some photos on website hopefully you can see your relative. Click on the left hand side "photo gallery" then select "Group Photos"


          This Camp was known for troop replacement training during the war.



          • Re: Seeking information & photo of Elwin Rowell
            Shannon Kerner Adventurer

            Dear Elwyn Smith,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 5 file units in the Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces (Record Group 337) that pertain to Camp Croft during the 1940s. For access to these file units, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies.

            Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!