1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2021 6:55 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking GI-Bill college enrollment data

Peter Woan Newbie

I am looking for college enrollment data following the Servicemen's Readjustment Act ( GI Bill) of 1944. Precisely, I want to see at which colleges (4-year) the GI veterans enrolled following implementation of the Act. I would like this data for the years 1945 through 1950. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking GI-Bill college enrollment data
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Woan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 8 series, 137 file units & 21 items in various records groups that pertain to the GI Bill during the 1940s. Most of the file units and items have been digitized and are available to view via the Catalog. For more information about specific records, please contact the NARA reference unit listed in the description.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

There is an article about the GI Bill at https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/gi-bill that may provide some resources for you.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful