6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2021 10:42 PM by R. Mark Binderman

Seeking medical & military records of my relative

R. Mark Binderman Newbie

I would like to learn which Vietnam combat operations my relative participated in from 1965 to 1966.  He was mortally wounded during combat in January 1966 and soon after that he died in hospital.  I would also like to obtain records of his medical care from the time he was wounded until his death, including a description of his wounds and treatment provided.

• Re: Seeking medical & military records of my relative
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mr. Binderman,

Do you have any additional information on your relative, name, DOB, place of birth?

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

R. Mark Binderman Newbie

Thank you for your response, Mr. Schneider.

Yes, I have all such information about this paratrooper, including his name, DOB, birthplace, unit (by company and brigade), dates of service, action and date in which mortally wounded, SSN, serial number, etc.  He was the brother of my wife, and so I believe she is authorized to view his records.

With appreciation,

Mark

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mr. Binderman,

with all due respect some of the information on third party websites are accessible to the general public, but yes your wife would have to request any records that would have to come from her. But there are other sites we here can access that are able to help you and your wife narrow down information that you are seeking or at least point you in the proper direction for your search.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

R. Mark Binderman Newbie

Mr. Schneider:

As you explained, I've been able to find relevant information on the web, including:  the "After Action Report" describing the combat in which he was wounded; a history of his unit, D Company of the 16th Artillery, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate),  on that Company's website; and a history of the 173rd Brigade on the Brigade website.  Additional details of the combat in which he was mortally wounded are included in his posthumous Bronze Star commendation. Also, I have looked at these two government websites concerning military records.

(1) About Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs, DD Form 214) [https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records-0]  states that "Military personnel records are primarily administrative records and can contain information . . . " and "Detailed information about the veteran's participation in military battles and engagements is NOT contained in the record."  While some of that administrative information would be useful, I hope to learn which Operations he participated in prior to Operation Crimp in January of 1966.

(2) Veterans' Medical and Health Records" [https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/medical-records.html]  seems to suggest that the medical records describing his wounds and treatment might not be available.  Those are the records I would like to obtain.  By the way, in regards to his wounds, it's interesting that the wounds as described in the After Action Report differs from how they were reported to his family by the Army:  specifically the Report states he suffered wounds to both arms but makes no mention of the chest wound which his family believes caused his death.  Perhaps while in the hospital for treatment of his arm wounds he succumbed to a chest infection of some sort and his family misunderstood this as a battle wound to his chest.  In any event, this is one of the questions I hope to address through my research.

Thank you,

Mark

Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Mr. Binderman,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on History Hub!

Since the unit actually is Company D, 16th Armor instead of Company D, 16th Artillery, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Armor Unit Records, ca. 1965 - ca. 1971 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that includes an Organizational History for 1963 to 1968 (Box 1) and Daily Journals for 05/04/1966 to 01/06/1967 (Box 2) of Company D,16th Armor. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also located Situation Reports (SITREPS), 8/1965 - 12/1970; Operational Reports - Lessons Learned (ORLL), 5/1/1965 - 4/30/1971; Daily Journals, 5/1965 - 12/1970; After Action Reports (AAR), 7/1965 - 8/1971; Command Reports, 5/1965 - 8/1971; and Command Historian After Action Reports, 1965 - 1972 in Record Group 472 that are records of the 173rd Airborne Brigade that may provide a higher level perspective of the events during 1965 - 1966. For questions about these records, please contact RDT2.

The specific information you seek may be contained in your relative’s Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

For the IDPFs of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 & RL-SL. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful