5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2021 9:39 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking my father's Army Air Force records

Robert Schrader Newbie

I am searching for my father's WWII records. He was in 379th Army Air Force

• Re: Seeking my father's Army Air Force records
          Jennifer Pasuit Newbie

Robert,  Was your father Harold L Schrader, a waist gunner in the 379th Bomb Group?  His plane was shot down on 6/25/43 and he was killed.  The missing air crew report #1356  said his father was named Leo and he was from Florissant, MO.  I truly hope this airman is not your father, but if he is I have a copy of that MACR that I can get to you.

Jan

Robert Schrader Newbie

Thank you very much. The info you shared is not my father. I'm guessing there is not much aside from his Military ID to go on. I was wondering where his unit fought. I'm trying to picture where he was stationed. When he came home from the war he brought all kinds of swords , linens, coins, etc. Years later after he died, my mother got rid of all of that. I have a pillow that he brought home that says Souvenir of the 8th Army that lists places like Capo Bon, Tunisi, Bengasi/Tripoli and El Alamein/Tobruk. While he was alive he did not talk much about the war. He and I never had a conversation about his service or deployment. He did indicate that he was a technical sergeant who worked on heavy equipment and repairs. Here is all I have on him: Robert H. Schrader

379th Army Air force

enlisted 3-17-42

Military occupation: Truck /driver (heavy) Instruction 931

Carbide Marksman 3-30-45

Battles Air offensive Europe

Sept 27 42 EAMET

Mar 22 44 APT

Dec 1 44 USA

Thank you for any additional information you might be able to gather.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Robert,

Was your fathers name Harold L. Schrader? I'm going out on a limb here since you did not give much information. But found a SSG Harold L. Schrader that was with the 379th Bomb Group, 8th AF this particular individual was KIA 25 June 1943.

Please let me know I have the right individual.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Robert Schrader Newbie

Thank you very much. The info you shared is not my father. I'm guessing there is not much aside from his Military ID to go on. I was wondering where his unit fought. I'm trying to picture where he was stationed. When he came home from the war he brought all kinds of swords , linens, coins, etc. Years later after he died, my mother got rid of all of that. I have a pillow that he brought home that says Souvenir of the 8th Army that lists places like Capo Bon, Tunisi, Bengasi/Tripoli and El Alamein/Tobruk. While he was alive he did not talk much about the war. He and I never had a conversation about his service or deployment. He did indicate that he was a technical sergeant who worked on heavy equipment and repairs. Here is all I have on him: Robert H. Schrader

379th Army Air force

enlisted 3-17-42

Military occupation: Truck /driver (heavy) Instruction 931

Carbide Marksman 3-30-45

Battles Air offensive Europe

Sept 27 42 EAMET

Mar 22 44 APT

Dec 1 44 USA

Thank you for any additional information you might be able to gather.

Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Schrader,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force who were separated from the service after 1946 and prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests

The series "World War II Army Enlistment Records, created 6/1/2002 - 9/30/2002, documenting the period ca. 1938 - 1946" in Record Group 64 is available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at https://aad.archives.gov/aad/.  In the search box, type the last name of the individual you seek and click on "Search."

Since the 379th AAF is probably the 379th Bomb Group, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled World War II Combat Operations Reports, 1941 - 1946 in the Records of the Army Air Forces ( Record Group 18) that includes 819 file units consisting of mission reports and various reports of the 379th Bomb Group during WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

RDT2 also has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located 44 files that pertain to the 397th Bomb Group during WWII. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. If the reel number begins with A, B or C, please contact RDT2 for access to them.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The book titled “Shades of Kimbolton” is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency (AFHRA) and has been declassified. The title refers to Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire, England where the group was based during WWII. The book is a pictorial history of those days with a narrative, a list of some 330 targets (missions) within Germany, and photographs of almost every man and aircraft in the unit. For access to the book, please follow the instructions on this page.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet