4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2021 2:37 PM by Susannah Brooks

Seeking naturalization records of Martin Funk

Kyle Ratzlaff Newbie

I am trying to find naturalization papers for Martin Funk.  We have been able to find him on both the ships passenger list and New York passenger list.  He arrived New York in May 1870 from Hamburg, Germany on the Bavaria with wife Juliane (Juley), daughter Mariane (Mary) and son Johann (John).  The 1880 census has them in Conway County, AR with 3 additional children that were born in Michigan, youngest being 4.  I wonder if they stayed in Michigan until naturalization, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything.  The 1900 census has them in Choctaw Nation of the Indian Territory and indicates that they have been naturalized.  I have tried searching in AR and OK/Indian Territory for the naturalization papers also, but again with no luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

• Re: Seeking naturalization records of Martin Funk
          atccn Wayfarer

Have you found Mariane and/or Johann in the 1920 census? That census asked for the naturalization year, which might enable you to determine where they were naturalized. Best of luck in your research!

Jillian Minerva Newbie

Dear Mr. Ratzlaff,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. Please contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) [email chicago.archives@nara.gov] for courts in Michigan and for Arkansas, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) [email ftworth.archives@nara.gov] to determine if records from lower courts are available. In certain cases, county court naturalization records maintained by the National Archives are available as microfilm publications

If a naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be at RM-CH or RM-FW for Federal courts in Michigan or Arkansas, respectively. No central index exists. To ensure a successful request, please include the following in your request: name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-CH and RM-FW. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Records from state and local courts in Michigan may be located at The Michigan History Center or the Michigan State Archives and Libraries. State and local court records in Arkansas may be located at Arkansas Historical Association.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Susannah Brooks Pioneer

I have not been able to find naturalization records for Martin Funk.  If you were searching for the naturalization to determine  where he was from in Prussia, I think I have figured that out.

I started with  the Hamburg emigration list;

If you look at the passengers immediately before and after Martin and his wife and 2 children, you will find others from the same town and/or who are probably relatives. 

Martin Funk from Daylub, 25, smith

Anton Haske?, 30, from Daylub, laborer

Anton Funk, 25, from ?olzin, laborer

Jos. Funk, 21, from ?olzin, laborer

Martin Funk 35 & his family, from Daylub, laborer

Jacob Rewa, 24, from Daylub, smith

Sometimes one has to trace other people to find information on an individual. 

I found Jacob Rewa, Anton Funk, and Joseph Funk all living in Allegen Co Michigan.  I would suspect that the others including Martin and his family were there between 1870 and 1879. 

Daylub is not the correct spelling of the town.  Rather it is Darslub, which is currently. "Darżlubie (Kashubian Darżlëbié, Darslub) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Puck, within Puck County, Pomeranian Voivodeship, in northern Poland."

Baptism of Martin Funk at Mechau, West Prussia (where Catholic Church for Darslub was located prior to 1870's)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89KB-4GY9?i=209&cat=102854

You will probably need to go to the link to see the entry large enough to read.  A rough translation is:

Darslub, 29 29 (birth & baptism entry # for 1835), [father] Farmer Johann Funk, [mother] Catharina Fockta; [born] 22 August 1835, [baptized] 27 August, [name of child] Martin, [sponsors or godparents] Johann Schornak & Rosalia Maijke?. [# of male legitimate birth] 13, [name of priest] just says ditto (idem)