4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2021 7:19 PM by James Schaefer

Seeking military records of Colonel Thomas Price

James Schaefer Newbie

I am looking for information on Colonel Thomas Price from the American Revolution. He was commander of the 2nd Maryland Brigade. I am looking for information on the accusations of his cowardice in multiple battles. He was courts-martialed in 1778 for actions dating back to 1776. Accusations are from the battles of Staten Island, Brandywine, and Germantown. I have information of his courts-martial from Washington’s General Orders, but I am having difficulty in finding collaboration for the charges of his cowardice.  He was acquitted on all accounts. Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance.

• Re: Seeking military records of Colonel Thomas Price
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

James,

I was able to view his Muster rolls which have been digitized for those time periods. Many illnesses shown from sick quarters, and looks like he was on furlough for 2 months after his pardon of all charges. The Board in Maryland also made selection that he keep his rank. Please see link to his muster rolls and CSR (Compiled Service Record).

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/140360747

Here is some information from the Maryland State Archives which I would suggest looking into please copy and paste link into your web browser. Lots of information including the General Orders that you currently are viewing.

https://msa.maryland.gov/msa/speccol/sc3500/sc3520/001000/001011/html/msa01011.html

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

James Schaefer Newbie

Eliot,

Thank you for the information. I have seen some of this material before and some are new to me. Apparently, the period in which Price on furlough, he was supposed to have resigned from the service. However, since he did not resign on his own, officers in the Maryland regiment wrote Washington to remove him...hence the reason for the delayed trial of past actions.  

I appreciate your input and assistance.

Jim

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Schaefer,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have any courts-martial case files for the Revolutionary War era. If such records were created, they may have been lost when most records in War Department custody were destroyed by fire on November 8, 1800; or later many of the remaining Revolutionary War records were lost during the War of 1812.

There may be some records concerning the matter in the Papers of the Continental Congress, 1774 - 1789 in the Records of the Continental and Confederation Congresses and the Constitutional Convention (Record Group 360). This series has been partially digitized, and the digitized records may be viewed using the Catalog. This series is indexed by the five volume publication "Index, The Papers of the Continental Congress" by John P. Butler that is available online through HathiTrust. The Papers of the Continental Congress, 1774 - 1789  be viewed in full online via Fold3 as the data collection Continental Congress - Papers. Accessing the records via Fold3 may require a subscription.  Some libraries provide free access to their patrons.

For additional information about this series and the other surviving Revolutionary War-era records in NARA custody, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Because the 2nd Maryland Brigade was a Maryland unit, the Maryland State Archives may have records concerning the unit and its officers.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

James Schaefer Newbie

Jason,

Thank you for the information. It has been helpful. I has been an interesting journey to find out what exactly Price did, or did not do, at these battles in which he was viewed upon as a coward. It is interesting that an individual with 4 or 5 charges of cowardice, and an officer, is not noted more in some of these documents.

I appreciate your help! Both you and Eliot have given me some different avenues.

Jim