10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2021 10:08 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking brother's 1970 debriefing

    Martha Moser Newbie

      My brother served as a door gunner E5 at Tuy Hoa U.S. Army Helicopter Airbase. He was debriefed before coming home in 1970. Are those records public and are all homecoming veterans debriefed? This would be for help with a PTSD claim. I am his youngest sister and caretaker. Trying to get some help for 48 years of dead ends with VA Hospital Michael DeBakey Center Houston Texas

        • Re: Seeking brother's 1970 debriefing
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Mrs. Moser,


          I'm not sure what they did in reference to debriefings after service in Vietnam, but I know from my own personnel experience after the Gulf War they did debriefings for us but were very limited at most. Most of us wanted to go home to our families and wives. What unit was your brother in? 23rd Americal Division? 1st Cav? 101st A/B? Please provide us with some additional information.


          In regards to help with PTSD claim you need to seek services from the VA you need to request a Comp and Pen evaluation by filling on the proper VA forms for claim of PTSD. Please copy and paste the link for VA 21-0781 Statement in Support of Claim for service- connected PTSD. The second form is for secondary PTSD to personal assault.





          VA- 21-0781a:





          Other helpful information:





          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking brother's 1970 debriefing
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Moser,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 21 records series related to debriefings in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) but based on the descriptions these appear to all be debriefings of senior officers and other special categories of personnel, rather than sergeants.  The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) does have unit records for individual units that may be useful in providing evidence for a PTSD claim, however RDT2 staff would need to know his unit assignments in order to potentially locate relevant records.  Please email RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov with full details to request more information about these records.


            We also suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful.