1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 8, 2021 7:54 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking any information about John Fitzgerald

ron van alphen Newbie

l was adopted and always wanted to search for my father who was in the 920th Field Artillery Battalion in France in 1945 and where he met my mother. I was born in Haarlem, The Netherlands on 18-11-1945. I have only 1 picture of him and his name was John Fitzgerald from Boston. He was Irish. This year, I did a DNA test and my biological father is my father. After all these years, I can't find anything about him. There are so many with the name Fitzgerald. I was in Ireland last year and that made me feel a lot easier in my mind but the emptiness stays. My father is not alive anymore I guess because I am 75. I want to know where I came from. Can you please help me?

• Re: Seeking any information about John Fitzgerald
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Van Alphen,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Questions concerning a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who may be the father of a child born during or around the time of World War II should be sent to the NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please mark the envelope and the letter "War Baby." When you submit your request, please include as much information about your father and his service as possible.

Since the 920th Field Artillery Battalion (FAB) was attached to the 95th Infantry Division during World War II, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 48 file units related to the 95th Infantry Division during the 1940s. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 95th Infantry Division and the 920th Field Artillery for WWII. These records typically do not include information about individuals, but they may offer some insight into the activities of your father’s unit during the war. For information about and access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!