2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2020 2:23 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking what tribe Francisco belonged to

Lupe Edmiston Newbie

Hi. I am trying to find out what tribe my great great grandfather belonged to. He was an Apache War chief during the Indian Apache wars. He rode with Cochise. His name was Francisco. He was captured and killed on November 10,1865 at Ft Goodwin, AZ. This was verified by the Tucson Centennial Newspaper. The article was entitled "The Death of an Apache Chief." How can I find out what tribe he belonged to? San Carlos and White Mountain Apaches have no records. Any help? He has been written about in several history books but not sure it is the same person. His Indian name is "Gotchaha" which means the big one. My great grandfather rode with Cochise after his father's death, but left the tribe after a falling out with Cochise and his tribe. So the story goes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Re: Seeking what tribe Francisco belonged to
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Lupe,

Welcome to History Hub,

I found this on Wikipedia

The following is from the webpage: Western Apache people - Wikipedia

• Francisco *Indian name (Gochaaha = Big One) killed 11/10 - 1865, chief of the Eastern White Mountain Coyotero Apache band, maybe he had been in his childhood a Mexican captive and thus inherited his Spanish name or he is to be identified with Na-ginit-a ("He Scouts Ahead"), an Eastern White Mountain chief closely enraged with Chiricahua chief Cochise - both Francisco and Na-ginit-a being killed by venom in 1865 at Camp Goodwin -, arrested because of his involvement in the Cienega massacre and "executed" in unclear circumstances.

Hope this helps

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

• Re: Seeking what tribe Francisco belonged to
            Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Edmiston,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

When embarking on Native American genealogy, please note that the records in the custody of NARA often only detail those living on the reservations or being administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Since the tribes collectively are known as the Apache were located further west and south and into Mexico, the U.S. government did not interact with that tribe until the mid-19th century, and even then did not begin to compile detailed individual records until the 1880s and later, NARA’s records also would reflect that.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 29 file units referencing the White Mountain band of Apaches prior to 1864 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that may contain information about Francisco.  These records have been digitized and are available via the Catalog. 

In addition, we searched the Internet Archive and located a book, Cochise: the life and times of the great Apache chief, that contains 21 references to Francisco, Chief of the White Mountain band, that may also be useful.  

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!