2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2020 1:44 PM by Elliot Schneider

Seeking military discharge paperwork

Emanuel Alexander Newbie

I was in the National Guard and switched to Army Reserve. When I got out, they never created my DD form 214 or my discharge paperwork. How do I get this done now?

• Re: Seeking military discharge paperwork
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Alexander,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

DD Form 214, Report of Separation, is issued when a service member performs active duty or at least 90 or more consecutive days of active duty training.  If you meet this qualification, you may contact the Army Human Resource Command Service Center to see what further steps you must take.

We suggest that you request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for those who served in the U.S. Army and the Army Reserves served since October 2002 are in the custody of the U. S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDR-VIB, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402. The telephone number is 1-888-276-9472; email address is askhrc.army@us.army.mil; and the web site is www.hrc.army.mil. They also are available in electronic format via https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

• Re: Seeking military discharge paperwork
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Mr. Alexander,

Please follow the link below and contact the state that you served during your time in the NG.

https://www.ngbpmc.ng.mil/Service-Records/

Depending on when you got out you may access records through the following also.

Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs), including DD-214s, for those who served in the U.S. Army Reserves served since October 2002 are in the custody of the U. S. Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDR-VIB, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402. The telephone number is 1-888-276-9472; email address is askhrc.army@us.army.mil; and the web site is www.hrc.army.mil.

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful