4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2021 2:59 AM by Sheryl Garza

Seeking burial location of Royal & Hannah Hart

Sheryl Garza Newbie

I have already searched Find-a-Grave, South Dakota Death records, Dell Rapids history, etc.  The individuals were Ira Royal & Hannah Hart.  They were living in the Dell Rapids, SD area in about 1864 when they were scalped in South Dakota.  Their younger children, Charles & Mary Ann were adopted by a family in Iowa.  The oldest son, Royal, moved to Bourneville, OK.  He was my gg grandfather and gave the eye-witness account of his parents' death.  He was about 14 years old at the time.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking burial location of Royal & Hannah Hart
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Garza,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Statewide vital record registration for births, deaths, and marriages began in South Dakota in July 1905. Substitute record sources such as probate records, church records, and newspaper records may include burial location  Prior to statehood, probate records were kept by the Territorial Probate Court.  We suggest that you contact the South Dakota State Historical Society to inquire about probate records for Ira Royal Hart. 

We also suggest that you contact the Minnehaha County Register of Deeds to inquire about any relevant records.  The burials may have been at a small family plot instead of a cemetery. The register of deeds also may be able to provide information about the location of the Hart’s property in Minnehaha County in order to locate any possible burials there. 

In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for South Dakota Vital Records may be useful.  

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Marsha Baldwin Newbie

Sheryl, I have a letter from Charles Coleman Hart.  He confirms the death of Ira and Hannah, as it was told to his father. He says there is a recorded history at the Sioux Falls public library but he was unable to locate names of Ira and Hannah on the death list.  He says the oldest son, Royal, went off on his own and the other 3 boys were adopted by a family named Griswold.  It gets very confusing with name change!

My great grandpa married Sarah Hart and I'm trying to figure out how she might fit in this tree.

Sheryl Garza Newbie

Hi Marsha ... I sorry I'm just now reading your comment.  I have the same letter from Charles addressed to my parents, Royal & Virginia.  My parents corresponded with Charles until his passing.  I have been writing to his wife, Nettie and she does not know much more than what is in the letter.  I'm going to write her one more time to see if I can get a copy of the photo Charles said he had of Royal and James that was taken in Dell Rapids.

I have done extensive research to validate this story, find their graves, etc.  Several years ago, I went to the Sioux Falls Library and the South Dakota Historical Society in Pierre. I also spent time researching at the Dell Rapids Library and the cemetery.  I have contacted the Dell Rapids History Facebook page.  I plan on making a trip back to South Dakota next June, so I am hopeful to gain more info by then.

Now, about your great grandma Sarah Hart ... what was your great grandpa's name?  I have a Sarah Hart born in about 1845 in Bronson, Michigan.  Could this be her?  Do you know how you got the letter from Charles?  Maybe we can track it down from there!

Thanks so much for contacting me ... looking forward to working on this mystery!