2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2020 9:22 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking military records of Carl Bernard Sandler

    Jonathan Sandler Newbie

      My late grandfather, Carl Bernard Sandler, was in the US Army in the 26th Infantry Division that landed in France from the US on 7 September 1944. I am seeking any information about his service in combat. I believe he was injured shortly after arriving in France.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Carl Bernard Sandler
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information on your Grandfather.



          Name:Carl B Sandler
          Race:White, includes Mexican (White)
          Rank:Enlisted Man
          Admission Age:22
          Birth Date:abt 1922
          Admission Date:Nov 1944
          Discharge Date:Aug 1944
          Military Branch:Infantry, General or Unspecified
          Diagnosis:FirstLocation: Foot, generally; SecondDiagnosis: [withheld by NARA]; CausativeAgent: Cold Injury, Ground Type
          Type of Injury:Injury, battle
          Injured in Line of Duty:In line of duty
          Type of Discharge:Discharged, Sec. II, AR 615-360 (line of duty, Yes)
          Length of service:2 Year(s), 5 Month(s)
          Service Number:32810252



          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military records of Carl Bernard Sandler
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Mr. Sandler,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 10 file units of the 26th Infantry Division during the 1940s. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 26th Infantry Division during WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!