7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2021 8:51 PM by Lisa Fowler

Seeking Army Service Photo of Grandfather

Lisa Fowler Newbie

Hello, I am seeking a photo of my grandfather when he was serving in the Army during WWII. He was in the CO B 38th infantry. APO 2, Serial Number is 36696466, PFC. He rode on the Higgins boats and stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, and was a sharp shooter. He also got shot through the hand. I am not sure what wave he was in or which beach exactly it was. I know he trained at Camp Blanding located in Starke, Florida. This would be the ultimate photo in my lifetime to have a copy of. I'm not sure who I should be asking or which forum I should be asking in, but any direction would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much.

• Re: Seeking Army Service Photo of Grandfather
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Lisa,

Could you please provide us with your Grandfathers name, DOB, place of birth it may help narrow down my search. I used NARA AAD site and put in the service number you gave but nothing shows up in the data base.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Lisa Fowler Newbie

Hello. Thank you for the quick response. He was born in Chicago, Cook, Illinois on 21 Feb. 1918. His name was Francisek Walter Grzeszkowiak. For purposes of the military he went by the name Frank Walter Grzeskowiak. I have attached a photo of his WWII draft registration card. I hope this helps. I was given the serial number by my uncle who may have transposed a number. Hopefully not. Thank you so much for your time, and any information or photos would be greatly appreciated. I would love to know which beach he stormed, what wave he was in, etc. Thank you, -- Lisa

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Hello Lisa,

Here is some information on the information you gave me. Just to correct the 38th Infantry Division was stationed in the Pacific and not Europe during D-day. The APO #2 that you gave me suggest that he was part of the 2nd Infantry Division.

Here is the makeup of the 2nd Infantry division. You were most likely referencing the 38th Infantry Regiment. This time period can be very confusing. But just wanted to make sure you have the correct information for your research.

2nd Infantry Division:

• 9th Infantry Regiment
                  • 23d Infantry Regiment
                  • 38th Infantry Regiment
                  • 2d Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanized)
                  • 2d Engineer Combat Battalion
                  • 2d Medical Battalion
                  • 2d Division Artillery
                  • 15th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer)
                  • 37th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer)
                  • 38th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm Howitzer)
                  • 12th Field Artillery Battalion (155mm Howitzer)
                  • Special Troops
                  • 702d Ordnance Light Maintenance Company
                  • 2d Quartermaster Company
                  • 2d Signal Company
                  • Military Police Platoon
                  • Headquarters Company
                  • Band

Name:Frank Grzeskowiak
                  Birth Date:21 Feb 1918
                  Death Date:6 Apr 1983
                  Branch 1:ARMY
                  Enlistment Date 1:25 Oct 1943
                  Release Date 1:11 Aug 1945

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

Lisa Fowler Newbie

Oh wow. It is all very confusing. Thank you for helping me distinguish between division and regiment. I'm 100 percent positive that he stormed the beaches on D-day, as he was shot through the hand. He also earned an award for being a sharp shooter. Unfortunately he would not talk about that day for the rest of his life. All he would ever say about it was when he came off the boat, (Higgins boat), that he could smell the smell of death almost immediately.  I would really like to know more information about this portion of his life. Do you have any suggestions on where else I might be able to find additional information than what you have been able to provide thus far? A photo of him during his tour in the Army would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks for all of your help!

Lisa

Rachael Salyer Ranger

Dear Ms. Fowler,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Please note that the "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be a permanent federal record by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in your brother's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Attach a copy of his draft card. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

In addition, photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). For example, We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that may include the photographs you seek. Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. When you contact them, be sure to include as much information about your brother and his military unit as possible, including his first and last name and the unit(s) he served in. For more information, please see Photographs and Graphic Works in College Park, Maryland.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!