1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 31, 2020 11:29 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking disbursement payments for removal & subsistence of Cherokees

    Scott Watkins Newbie

      I am looking for the disbursement payments for the removal and subsistence of Cherokees. Especially, the names of individuals and the amounts paid quarterly from January 1838 to December 1840.

        • Re: Seeking disbursement payments for removal & subsistence of Cherokees
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Watkins,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Registers of Payments, 1837 - 1845 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that contain records of awards and payments made by the first three Boards of Cherokee Commissioners.   For access to the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Records (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]