1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 31, 2020 7:08 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking records of Charles Schmid before immigration

Katelyn Ludvigson Newbie

Hello. My family is from Cook County, Illinois. My great great grandfather came from Germany in 1876. I cannot find much information on him and I am stuck. His name is Charles Schmid. His birthday was January 17, 1858 and he died on February 5, 1920 in Chicago. His wife’s name was Magdalena Schmid. They lived on 2014 N Kedzie Ave from 1900 to when they died. I have some more information if it’s something you could help me with.

• Re: Seeking records of Charles Schmid before immigration
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Ludvigson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In order to research records of Charles Schmid prior to his immigration, it is necessary to determine his birth location, which is often noted on naturalization documentation.  As the U.S. Census notes citizenship status, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain records of his citizenship status.  For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires. Please review the FamilySearch wiki for Naturalization Terms and Acronyms and NARA’s Naturalization Records website for an overview of the naturalization process.

If your grandfather was listed as a citizen in a U.S. Census, the naturalization may have taken place in a Federal or local court.  If the petition was filed in Illinois, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) via email at chicago.archives@nara.gov to request a copy of both the naturalization declaration and petition.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RM-CH. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Once you have determined the birthplace of Charles Schmid, we suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wikis for Germany Genealogy and Finding Aids For German Records for more information in researching Charles Schmid in Germany.  

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!