2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 3:56 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking a copy of my mother's DD-214

    Brendan McCahill Newbie

      How do I get a copy of my mother's DD-214? She served in the Army. I have tried to fill it out online, but I do not know her serial number and or her start date or ending date .

        • Re: Seeking a copy of my mother's DD-214
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. McCahill,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking a copy of my mother's DD-214
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Do you have any additional information on your mother? What era in the military did she serve, if ww2 she maybe listedon the Army WAC records? But if she is modern day you will need he social security number, DOB, and some other information listed on the SF-180 form used to request military records. However, you will have to wait until pandemic is over. Currently, the NPRC is only servicing "Emergency Requests" and many will have to wait until normal operations resume.




            Elliot Schneider