1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 1:44 PM by Susannah Brooks

How to find European ancestry online for free

Julie Howe Wayfarer

After working some more on my ancestry during the last few weeks, I have discovered ancestors whose immigration I would like to follow back to their birth countries. With both my husband and I not working due to Covid-19, I would like to find access to tracing my European ancestors online for free or a very small fee. I have googled this request and some of the sites appear to be free but end up costing a monthly or yearly fee. Can anyone advise me if there are free or small fee sites to trace my lineages?

• Re: How to find European ancestry online for free
          Susannah Brooks Tracker

I assume that by now you have gotten familysearch.org to work correctly.  Click on search, and then on catalog.  Enter the name of the place you are looking for and a list of all the records for that place that the Family History Center in Salt Lake has will appear.  Not everything they own has been digitized yet and not everything can be viewed at home (some you have to go to your local Family History Center, once they reopen, to view the record), but their records are always free.  Many European records were kept at the town level, so you will need to know exactly where your ancestor came from.

In order to find where records might be, I google " place name familysearch wiki and they often have links to not only their own records, but other records (and they note by using a $ sign if it is a paid site).