3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 12:15 PM by Elliot Schneider Branched to a new discussion.

What is the difference between detached service and temporary duty?

Lowell Silverman Wayfarer

I've been cataloging the morning reports from my grandfather's WWII U.S. Army unit.  I've noticed that personnel would go on either detached service (DS) or temporary duty (TD).  In both cases personnel were assigned to another unit for a period of time, varying from days to months.  However, I haven't managed to figure out what difference there was (if any) between the two duty statuses.

• Re: What is the difference between detached service and temporary duty?
          joan stachnik Tracker

Hi Lowell, I searched some of the Technical Manuals from the early 1940s for the US Army, related to adminstrative and army clerk duties. There was no mention of Temporary Duty, but one of them differentiated between Detached Service and Special Duty (both of which I've seen in the MRs I have). The difference was the location of the service duties (away from home station or at home station, respectively). All these procedures for documentation are referenced by AR 345 (Army Regulations 345), which I have been unable to find. Not sure if this is of any value. joan

Lisa Sharik Adventurer

Detached Service means you have been removed from your unit and sent somewhere else. You are no longer carried on that unit's books, not just the Morning Reports for the time you have been assigned to a different place/unit.

Temporary Duty means you are doing something which is not your normal job, If you are a rifleman maybe you have been temporarily assigned to help out with supplies. but you are still the responsibility of your original unit ( just not on the Morning Reports which is a daily report of how many men the unit is fielding, feeding, etc...) You are still listed on their roster for that time period.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

1 person found this helpful
              Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Lowell,

Hope all is well.

DS or Detached service was an assignment to another unit typically not within his own unit. For example if he was in a hospital unit, and he was needed for detached service with a mobile hospital or aid station. TD or Temporary Duty was just that anything from delivering mail, watching prisoners, or filling in a vacancy MOS in another area to fill the void.

This was my understanding from some individuals I spoke with.

Elliot Schneider