6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2020 8:48 PM by atccn

Seeking naturalization papers of grandparents

DALE COLLINS Newbie

How do I find out if my Italian Grandparents have US naturalization papers? How do I find out if my grandfather and grandmother, who were from Italy when they immigrated, gave up their citizenship in Italy?

• Re: Seeking naturalization papers of grandparents
          Susannah Brooks Tracker

It will depend on when they came to the US and what state they lived in at the time that they might have been naturalized.  In most cases women did not  seek their own naturalization if their husband became naturalized before

Sept 1922.

If you would like to share their names, approximate year of birth, approximate arrival year, and the place they lived in the US, one of us will help you look for the records or give you more specific places to look.

DALE COLLINS Newbie

My Grandfather,  Guiseppe Anthony Emanuele, born 6/13/1882, died 12/21/1928.in a hospital in

Norwich, Conn.

My Grandmother  Maria Donata Di Pasquale, Born 2/28/1882, died 4/6,1944.in Thompsonville, Conn.

THEY WERE MARRIED IN FOIANO DI VAL FORTORE, ITALY ... NEAR BENNIVENTO.

IAM TRYING TO TRANSLATE THEIR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE SO I HAVE WRITTEN TO THE MAYOR OF THE VILLAGE TO SEE IF HE CAN TRANSLATE THE DATE OF THEIR MARRIAGE. HE BECAME A FRIEND OF MINE WHEN I VISITED THE VILLAGE. He gave me copies of their birth and marriage certificates.

MY GRANDPARENTS IMMIGRATED AFTER THEIR3 OR4 CHILD AND MY MOTHER WAS THE BABY OF THE FAMILY. THER IMMIGRATED THOROUGH ELLIS ISLAND. MY GRANDFATHER WORKED ON THE NY CITY TUNNEL AND THEN EVENTUALLY MOVED TO YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO WHERE HIS BROTHER LEONARDO LIVED. THEY EVENTUALLY SETTLED AT 33 ELM STREET, ENFIELD, THOMPSONVILLE, CONN. THIS IS WHERE THEY BOTH PASSED.

I hope this helps. Thanks for all your help.

Happy Holidays To You !!

Ms. Dale Collins

DALE COLLINS Newbie

My MOther is Josephine Emanuele I think they dropped the E when they immigrated. Her DOB 5/28 1923 she is still alive and well. She married Donald Collins in 8/12/1946.

Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Collins,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As the U.S. Census notes citizenship status, we suggest you check the 1910 and 1920 Census for the status of your grandparents.  We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may contain records of your grandparent’s citizenship.  For access to the non-digitized schedules, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov

Since immigrant women and their children were granted U.S. citizenship upon the husband’s naturalization until 1922, the records would most likely follow in the name of your grandfather.  Please review the NARA publication “Any woman who is now or may hereafter be married . . .”  for more information on derivative citizenship.

You may wish to search Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org for the U.S. Census. There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, check for access at your local library as many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for their patrons.

For information about the U.S. Census, see the Census Bureau technical documentation and questionnaires. Please review the FamilySearch wiki for Naturalization Terms and Acronyms and NARA’s Naturalization Records website for an overview of the naturalization process.

If your grandfather was listed as a citizen in a U.S. Census, the naturalization would have taken place in a Federal court.   If the petition was filed in a Federal court in Connecticut, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) via email at boston.archives@nara.gov to request a copy of both the naturalization declaration and petition.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RE-BO. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

If you find no citizenship status listed for your grandparents in the U.S. Censuses, we suggest that you request a certification of non-existence of a record of naturalization from USCIS (Genealogy Frequently Asked Questions - see About Further Research section), as well as submit an Index Search request to the USCIS Genealogy Program.  USCIS should be able to provide the certification on non-existence, and although your grandfather won’t have a naturalization record, it is likely that INS did create an A-File that could be used to verify his citizenship status.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

atccn Wayfarer

Hello,

I consulted the census records for 1920, 1930, and 1940. Here they are:

1920: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRJ2-9Z?i=1&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMDGV-X63

1930: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89M1-X8FY?i=15&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AK71W-M64

1940: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R41-7C8?i=10&cc=1810731&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AXMPD-S7…

(I do not know for certain, but you may need to create a free account with FamilySearch to see these records.)

Don't be too concerned by the naming differences (e.g. "Maria" shows up as "Anna" in the 1920 census). The census-taker rarely did a great job of taking down names, particularly those of immigrants. Since the names, dates, and places all more-or-less match, I am pretty confident that these all refer to your family.

The 1920 census says that Giuseppe (which means Joseph, hence "Joe") and his wife were naturalized in 1918, thereby renouncing Italian citizenship. This means that they were American citizens when your mother was born (1923), so Italian citizenship did not pass to her. If you were hoping for dual citizenship, this would tend to doom such an application. (Sorry.) In light of this, I didn't bother digging any additional records, so if you're still interested in seeing other documents, just let me know. Merry (belated) Christmas.