1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 3:19 PM by Holly Rivet Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking how to change birth year on DD-214

    Vincent Spingola Newbie

      I have a similar question regarding an admin change for a DD-214. My birth year is wrong and need to get it corrected, a new employment opportunity is requesting it be changed before proceeding. I have already submitted it to ARBA, however they are saying it will take 18 months or more. I know that NPRC is closed with exception to emergencies, but it does say they can do these types of corrections when they reopen. Would it be wise to submit a form now or wait for reopen? And also does an administrative correction need documentation as well?

        • Re: Seeking how to change birth year on DD-214
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Spingola,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          You may check the third page of the Request Pertaining to Military Records Form SF 180 to determine where your records are located.  If your Official Military Personnel File is located at the NPRC and since you have contacted ARBA, then you already are in line for a staff member to pull your file at St. Louis. 


          NPRC is asking people to refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Currently, the NPRC is staffed at less than ten percent of normal staffing levels. 


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.



          Holly Rivet