1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2020 7:39 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking US embassy and consulate cables

Steven Minniear Newbie

I would like to search certain US Embassy and Consulate cables looking for insights into how they tracked and helped US citizens abroad.  I'm specifically looking at US embassies and consulates located in Australia, New Zealand, Ceylon, United Kingdom, Belgium, and France for certain periods in 1938-1939.  I'm doing research on an American woman trumpeter who did a world tour and wound up as a refugee in September 1939 in France.

• Re: Seeking US embassy and consulate cables
          Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Minniear,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 50 series in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that include telegrams or messages during the 1930s. We also located 804 series in the Records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (Record Group 84) that include telegrams or messages of various embassies and consulates during the 1930s. Please review the listing for the specific countries you seek. Then contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful