3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2020 9:02 AM by Rebecca Bauer

    Seeking records of father & 3326th SIAM Company

    Denise Whitmer Newbie

      My dad served in the US Army in the 3326th Signal Information and Monitoring (SIAM) Company, 3133nd Signal Corps. I am seeking information on his service in the Ghost War.

        • Re: Seeking records of father & 3326th SIAM Company
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Whitmer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Army who served during World War II and who separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. YIf there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. If this is for family research purposes, please mark “Genealogy” as the purpose for your order and for the items you are requesting check “Other” and write that you want his entire file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that may have an entry for your father if he enlisted from 1939 through 1946. The database does not include those who joined as commissioned officers, although it does include those who joined as enlisted soldiers and were later commissioned. It also has gaps where the original records were missing or illegible. If you locate an entry for your father, please use the information in this file (such as his service number and enlistment date) when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          We searched National Archives Catalog and located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that may include records of the 3326th Signal Information and Monitoring (SIAM) Company. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Also, we searched online and located brief references to the unit in the following publications:


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          • Re: Seeking records of father & 3326th SIAM Company
            Rebecca Bauer Newbie

            Good Morning Denise,


            Search on line for information about the men that served in the Ghost War unit.  There are many sites about the men and what they did.  Also try searching Google images for your father's unit and type in his name.  Often those men, or, their child, post documents and pictures they have.


            Also, the men that served in World War II were told to protect and preserve all the documents and awards they receive in case they are needed for future reference.  Most put everything they received into their Army trunks, or, their wives create a file.  The trunks are typically stored in attics, or, basements.


            Barring that, check with the VFW, where your father lived to determine if he was a member and donated anything.  Also check local and state history centers where he lived.