2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2020 1:30 PM by Lauren Algee

Understanding tagging

Gail Andrews Newbie

I'm new and today is my second day!  So before I get going too far please advise so I can start out as correctly as possible.  So far I'm seeing many tags being missed or incorrectly tagged like every word to do with the subject for example which are keywords while the topic and much more is not being tagged.  

I've read where you want things transcribed first and foremost of course and which brought me here with my trained background in that but seeing the need for tags or correct tags I'd like to help there more also.

Tags are placed to describe what the content is about and what it relates to.  Most I've seen do none of that.

Here are some examples of what is vital to tagging and even if these only were done to begin with would be immensely helpful to those searching:

1.  Subject, Author, Article genre:  Suffrages would be a good example or Walt Whitman.  I'm not seeing those tagged in many I've read so far.

2.  Name of poem, book, collection, etc.  Self explanatory and as it's not included sometimes in the typed content it especially should be thus tagged.

3.  Year.  When searching many times an ancestry/historian like myself wants to find what happened a certain year especially for educational purposes by Students as well.  I'm not seeing a year where it was clearly included in the text or available at beginning of a book, etc.

If there is such a list as this, please advise me of the link to it so I can include others.  Thank you!

• Re: Understanding tagging
          Henry Rosenberg Tracker

Fellow Volunteer here. I think you are on the right track. In some cases where there is a famous person referred to, I tag their full name even if they use initials or just a first or last name. I also write out the date as a tag where it is not included in the header of the folder. I also see times where people have so many tags, many of which are not helpful but I leave them. I look at tags as part of a search index. That's my simple take.

Henry

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Understanding tagging
            Lauren Algee Scout

Hi Gail!  And welcome!

It's also worth reiterating that tags are an experimental feature. We don't yet have a place to add them to the original materials in loc.gov. If you have a limited amount of time to spend, transcription and review are the most crucial areas of activity. That said, tags can be a useful communication tool amongst volunteers and we hope to eventually have a search feature within the site.

If you haven't read through them yet, our tagging instructions give some broader examples:

• If you transcribe an important word in a document, such as somebody’s name, and the original author spelled the name incorrectly, you can add a tag of the correct name using the “Tag” button.
            • Sometimes writers use nicknames or code words. If you know or can correctly identify the full name or subject using contextual information from the larger document or collection, please tag this information using the “Tag” button.
            • Are you interested in documents mentioning cats? Use the “Tag” button to tag all pages that mention cats. Other examples include “Civil War”, “Cooking”, “Sports”. You can apply whatever tags you like.
            • Keep tags as short as you can and use whole words instead of abbreviations. This will make it easier for other people to understand your tags and to reuse them on other pages.

We don't recommend tagging any words or dates already included in the document.  As Henry notes above, it's useful to think of tags as additional search terms to those present in the text.

1 person found this helpful