1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2020 11:20 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking audio recordings of 25th Division Soldiers Chorus

Kathy Passarelli Newbie

Hi, my father was part of the 25th Division Soldiers Chorus in Hawaii from 1959-62.  He recorded a record or two while there and the copies we had in our house while I was young have gone missing.  I would love to find copies of these to preserve and pass on to my children.  I have reached out to the 25th division and they said that recordings of that era did exist back then.  However, according to the staff at the 25th Infantry Museum, that library was closed when the Department of Defense consolidated many of its historical holdings in the early 1980s.  The curator told them that it is quite likely that when the old museum closed, those recordings were either sent to the National Archives, the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center, or the U.S. Army Center of Military History for safekeeping. What are the best search options?  Thank you in advance

• Re: Seeking audio recordings of 25th Division Soldiers Chorus
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Passarelli,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog but were unable to locate a listing of audio recordings pertaining to the 25th Division Soldiers Chorus. If there are any recordings of them at the National Archives which are not listed in the Catalog, they would be in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM). Please contact RDSM via email at mopix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSM. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Also, we suggest that you email both the US Army Center of Military History and the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center. In addition, there may be recordings at the Library of Congress.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!