3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2020 11:16 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking DD-214 of James Kubera

    Kimberly Garcia Newbie

      I am searching for my father's DD-214 from the Army. James Kubera was born in 1934 in Chicago, Illinois. Is there someone that can please tell me how to go about locating this form and having it sent to me. I need it desperately.





        • Re: Seeking DD-214 of James Kubera
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Hello Kimberly,


          Just to give you some information the NPRC in St, Louis which is the facility that houses Service member files is currently only processing "Emergency Requests". What this means is because of the pandemic they have scaled down their operations only processing burial requests, homeless veterans, education benefits. Most people will have to wait until they resume normal business operations in order to receive Discharge or OMPF files.


          In the mean time you can try contacting the local VA facility that he may have received care from it possible that they may have his discharge in those files. Additionally, since I see he is from Illinois you can try contacting the following below. Just an FYI Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs (IDVA) may have state forms that you may need to fill out.


          Look at the number below that lists DD214's and files.


          Springfield Office

          Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
          833 South Spring Street
          P.O. Box 19432
          Springfield, IL 62794-9432
          Phone: 217-782-6641
          Fax: 217-524-0344

          Chicago Office

          George Dunn County Building
          69 West Washington
          Suite 1620
          Chicago, Illinois  60602
          Phone 312-814-2460
          Fax number 312-814-2764
          Toll Free 800-437-9824


          Department Contacts

          DepartmentPhone Number
          DirectorChicago 312-814-2460
          Springfield 217-782-6641
          Assistant DirectorChicago: 312-814-2460
          Springfield: 217-782-6641
          Chief Legal Counsel312-814-5391
          Communication Manager/
          Media Queries


          Information Technology217-782-4062
          Legislative Liaison217-524-7278
          Procurement Officer217-785-7813
          MIA/POW Scholarship217-782-3564
          War Graves217-782-6643
          Field Services/Service Offices312-814-2745
          State Approving Agency217-782-7838
          Veterans' Cash Grant                                           217-782-6153




          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking DD-214 of James Kubera
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Garcia,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            His DD-214 or equivalent form should be included in his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. If all you need is proof of service, you may specify that you are requesting the “DD Form 214 or equivalent”. For more information see Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - Veterans and Next-of-Kin.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful.