2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2021 2:45 AM by Stephanie Bradley

    Seeking military retirement credentials for Stephen Millmore

    Stephanie Bradley Newbie

      My father, Stephen R. Millmore, passed away on December 23, 2014 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He served in the U.S.Military for many years and retired as Senior Chief in the U.S Navy. He was stationed in Little Creek Naval Base near Virginia Beach, VA upon his last deployment and retirement. He also served in Merchant Marines for years after his retirement.

        • Re: Seeking military retirement credentials for Stephen Millmore
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Bradley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file.  If the veteran separated less than 62 years ago, next-of-kin must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home or a published obituary. For more information see Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - Veterans and Next-of-Kin. Different release procedures apply for records 62 years and older. See Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests if he separated from service more than 62 years ago.


          The Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated prior to 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.govInclude the name, date of birth, dates of service, "Z" number, and date of death, if known, in your email.


          Persons requesting Merchant Marine personnel service jackets for 1968 to the present should write to the USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421), ATTN: Correspondence Section, 100 Forbes Drive, Martinsburg, WV 25404.  Please include name, date of birth, copy of death certificate if deceased, Social Security number, address, and Z or Service number. Their website is https://www.dco.uscg.mil/national_maritime_center/.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.