11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2020 6:29 PM by Andrea Jones

    Looking for grandfather's military information

    Andrea Jones Newbie

      I am looking for information about which infantry my grandfather was part of, which battles he was in, and his POW information.

        • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any additional information pertaining to your grandfather? Such as a Name, DOB, place of birth.






          Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
              Andrea Jones Newbie

              Hobert Caudill  was born on 9/21/23 in Letcher County, Kentucky.  His military ID number was 35653212. I just don’t have any information as to which unit he was in or where he was a POW. I have his Purple Heart medal, and thought that meant he was a POW.

                • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
                  Elliot Schneider Ranger



                  Here is some information below. There are some questions I have look at the headstone application everything looks correct name of individual sent to a Mrs. Cora Back in Blackey, KY in Latcher County says on record DOB was 7/14/1907 and service number of 35435965 and the other records below showing the other service number with same individual living in Latcher County. Is it me or is this odd and the government has the wrong information because the headstone of individual says he died in 1944.


                  This Application for headstone i think is not your grandfather because I cross referenced to the AAD site at NARA and they actually have two individuals listed and the below is your grandfather and the other is someone else with the exact same name also living in Kentucky with the same last name this is crazy very confusing are they related?


                  sort low to highsort low to highsort low to highsort low to highsort low to highsort low to highsort low to highsort low to high
                  View15046937CAUDILL#HOBERT##########KENTUCKYPERRYFT KNOX KENTUCKY40Civil Life19
                  View35653215CAUDILL#HOBERT##########KENTUCKYLATCHERFT THOMAS NEWPORT KENTUCKY43Civil Life23




                  Name:Hobert Caudill
                  Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
                  Birth Year:1923
                  Nativity State or Country:Kentucky
                  Residence:Latcher, Kentucky
                  Education:Grammar school
                  Civil Occupation:Farm hands, general farms
                  Enlistment Date:12 Mar 1943
                  Enlistment Place:Fort Thomas Newport, Kentucky
                  Service Number:35653215
                  Branch:No branch assignment
                  Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
                  Source:Civil Life



                  Name:Hobert Caudill
                  Birth Date:21 Sep 1923
                  Death Date:30 Nov 2000
                  Branch 1:ARMY
                  Enlistment Date 1:12 Mar 1943
                  Release Date 1:17 Dec 1945


                  • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
                    joan stachnik Tracker

                    Hi Andrea, I did not find any relevant information for you.  But your grandfather's Purple Heart award means that he was wounded (or injured) in the line of duty. The link below describes the history of the award. Hope this is of some interest. joan



                      • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
                        Andrea Jones Newbie

                        Thank you for the link. I read the information and searched for his name but it was not found. Do you know a reason for  that? 

                          • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
                            joan stachnik Tracker

                            HI Andrea, most of the websites with name lists for the Purple Heart are self- or family-reported. As far as I know, there is no complete list of recipients; there were so many men wounded in the war. Likely when your grandfather received the award he also had some paperwork citing the General Order for the award. It should also have been listed on his separation papers. Did your grandfather save anything from his service? Such as papers, photographs, uniform patches or insignia?


                            You might want to contact the local county or state VA benefits office where your grandfather lived. Some veterans registered with the VA when returning home. Hope this is of some help. joan

                    • Re: Looking for grandfather's military information
                      Jason Atkinson Ranger

                      Dear Ms. Jones,


                      Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

                      We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. If this is for family research purposes, please mark “Genealogy” as the purpose for your order and for the items you are requesting check “Other” and write that you want his entire file.


                      If he separated from service less than 62 years ago, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.  The next-of-kin is defined as any of the following: the unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran. To access the full file, next-of-kin must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home, or a published obituary. For more information see Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - Veterans and Next-of-Kin.


                      If his date of separation was more than 62 years ago, the records are open to the public and no proof of death is required to access the records. For more information, see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


                      Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                      We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the 11 databases relating to prisoners of war. Please search the databases for your grandfather's name.


                      We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!