3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2020 7:33 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking housing/billet records for Army personnel in Germany

    Lisa Kreiser Newbie

      My Grandfather served in WWII and  remained in Germany after the war.  His designation on his DA 66 form is USFET for this time period.  My Grandmother and father joined him in 1946/47.  And, again in 1955/57  I am looking for records pertaining to his housing for these periods.  Any suggestions where/how to locate appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking housing/billet records for Army personnel in Germany
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Kreiser,

           

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a limited number of files relating to billeting in the Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 331) and the Records of Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army (World War II) (Record Group 498). These records most likely about higher level policy and administrative issues, and do not appear to include comprehensive information on the billeting and housing assignment of individuals. Records regarding the housing of individual soldiers would most likely have been disposed of by the Army shortly after their initial administrative use. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

           

          Please note that only 1%-3% of the textual records created by the Executive Branch agencies of the United States government (including the military) are appraised to be of permanent legal or historical value and are accordingly transferred to the National Archives. The remaining 97%-99% are eventually destroyed by the creating agencies, in accordance with their records disposition schedules.

           

          We hope this information is helpful.

           

          1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking housing/billet records for Army personnel in Germany
              Lisa Kreiser Newbie

              Thank you for your reply.  It begs another question. Can I assume his unit information would place me in the correct area?

                • Re: Seeking housing/billet records for Army personnel in Germany
                  Jason Atkinson Pioneer

                  Dear Ms. Kreiser,

                   

                  Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub! 

                   

                  If there are any surviving organizational records from his unit or the higher level unit or command to which it was attached, they may provide information about where the unit was stationed at the time of your Grandfather’s service. Please contact RDT2 using the previously provided email address to inquire about records of specific units.

                   

                  Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

                   

                  We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!