5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2020 7:10 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking personnel records of Eugene Warfield Rice

    Irvina Mitchell Newbie

      How do I find my grandfather employment records with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers? His name is Eugene Warfield Rice and was born on 22 August  1885. I know he worked out of the Seattle office in 1930. I also know he worked as a Civil Engineer who built a school in Whitefish, Montana in 1936. I would like his HR records, showing the movement within the Corps, and any interesting comments. I already contacted the Seattle office and they said they don't have those records any longer.

        • Re: Seeking personnel records of Eugene Warfield Rice
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below. Not sure if this is repetitive.








          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking personnel records of Eugene Warfield Rice
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Mitchell,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            The US Army Corps of Engineers employed both military personnel and civil service employees. We presume from the draft registration records that Mr. Schneider located that he was a civil service employee, because those already in the military were not required to register for the draft.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and  include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. If you do not know all of this information, you may omit what you do not know, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/opf.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful.


            2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking personnel records of Eugene Warfield Rice
              Alice Lane Pioneer

              Hi Irvina,

              Welcome to History Hub.


              This may be the same as what Jason Atkinson provided. Not sure

              eOPF.pdf (army.mil)

              Electronic Official Personnel Folder {eOPF) The electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF) is a system developed as a management solution to handle official personnel files and to simplify your access to your Official Personnel Folder (OPF). The OPF contains human resource (HR) records and documents related to Federal civilian employees. An OPF is created when an employee begins Federal service, and is maintained throughout an employee's career in accordance with the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) regulations. The eOPF system provides secure, web-enabled access for employees to view their eOPF documents. Logging into eOPF. By following  a step-by-step process to log into the eOPF system, you can view your individual Federal employment records. Appropriated Fund (AF) and NAF employees can gain access to eOPF by following their respective login links. The login URL for AF employees is https://eopf.opm.gov/Army/ and the login URL for NAF employees is https://eopf.opm.gov/armynaf/. Begin by clicking on "Request Your eOPF ID" and enter your personal information. This input will result in your eOPF ID being emailed to you. Once you have that information, then click on "Request your eOPF Password". You will need to enter more information to include your eOPF ID to obtain your password. After you receive the password, you will be able to log inand access your eOPF. If further assistance is needed logging into eOPF, please send an e-mail to: eopfhelpdesk@opm.gov or call 866-275-8518. Access to eOPF records. To protect the integrity of employee personnel records and security of Personally Identifiable Information (PII), access to your eOPF records can ONLY be gained by using a Government computer through a recognized Internet Protocol (IP) address. This necessary security measure limits employee access to Government installations and offices. E-mail notification of documents added to eOPF. Employees will be notified by e- mail when documents are added to their eOPF. If you have a Government e-mail address, it has already been updated in your eOPF record. Employees without a Government e mail address may contact their servicing CPAC or NAF HRO to provide a personal e-mail address for notification purposes. Employees without e-mail capability. Employees who do not have e-mail access can contact their first line supervisor or local Civilian Personnel Advisory Center (CPAC)/NAF HRO to obtain further information about receiving notifications when documents have been added to their eOPF.

              Alice Lane

              Research Volunteer