1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2020 9:49 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking information about Marie Poland Fish

Ben Goldfarb Newbie

Hello, I am working on an article about the legacy of Marie Poland Fish, an oceanographer who received the US Navy's Distinguished Public Service Award in 1966 for her research on marine noise. Although she conducted her work at the University of Rhode Island, she did so under contract with the Office of Naval Research. I'm seeking information and archival material on the history of her work with the Navy - reports, papers, contracts, etc. - but I don't quite know where to begin my search. I'd greatly appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks very much

• Re: Seeking information about Marie Poland Fish
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Goldfarb,

Thank you for your posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Oceanography Research Reports, 1979 - 1983 as well as 70 record series from the 1960s in the Records of the Office of Naval Research (Record Group 298).  Many of these record series have not yet been processed and are not fully described.  For more information about specific series, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Many Office of Naval Research records from this time period are still in Navy custody. We suggest that you contact the Navy records manager Maurice King at maurice.king@navy.mil, as well as the Office of Naval Research to inquire about records related to this contract. Also, there may be information about her award at the  Navy Awards and Decorations Branch, Navy and Marine Corps Awards Office, Chief of Naval Operations DNS35, 2000 Navy Pentagon, Washington, DC 20350-2000. Their website is Awards.navy.mil.

Since she was a contractor rather than a government employee, the federal government  would not have a personnel file for her. If she was employed by the University of Rhode Island, they may still have her personnel file. Also, the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography, the URI Libraries, and the Narragansett Laboratory may have records concerning this project or may otherwise be able to assist you with locating information about her and her work.

Other oceanography-related organizations such as the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library and The Oceanography Society may be able to help you locate information about her work.

Finally, online searches turn up a number of resources relating to her.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!