1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2020 10:44 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking grandfather's WWII records

    Joanthan Goldstein Newbie

      I was looking into a Grandfather's Military Online records. I have found my Grandfathers’ information on the National Archives website including a film reel number, but I can’t find where to order / view that information.  Also there is information in the Archives about his rank and time in service etc… then if you click on the box it shows numbers, then the sample code does not even match any of the numbers? Can I find that anywhere online ? Do I need to order its reproduction? Its from WWII.  I am sorry to be pushy but my dad does not have a  lot of time and I am trying any avenue to find any info for him. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking grandfather's WWII records
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Goldstein,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The database "World War II Army Enlistment Records, ca. 1938 - 1946" is a compilation of enlistment data captured on punch cards by the Army. The record you located using AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website IS the record. The database is not an index to additional records.


          Please use the information in the file located in the AAD when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!