2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2020 12:00 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military information about Foster Brady

    Cathleen Crowley-Piscitell Newbie

      I am seeking information about my uncle, Foster Berte Brady, who was killed in action on 8/18/1918 during World War I. Any military record information would be helpful.

        • Re: Seeking military information about Foster Brady
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Can you provide any additional information such as DOB, place of birth.






          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking military information about Foster Brady
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Ms. Crowley-Piscitell,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. When filling out the form, please mark “Genealogy” as the purpose for your order and for the items you are requesting check “Other” and write that you want his entire file. For “Date Released,” use his date of death. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Also, burial case files for 1915 to 1939 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            Finally, if you know where he is buried, the cemetery may have information concerning his military service, especially if it is noted on his tombstone or other grave marker.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!