3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2021 5:56 PM by B E

    Seeking POW information for Robert Edwards

    Deborah Chadwick Newbie

      What prison camp was my father in? I am seeking information on my father, Robert L. Edwards, ASN 44011077, who was a POW in Germany during WWII. He was captured after January 29, 1945.

        • Re: Seeking POW information for Robert Edwards
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information but, looks like this camp information was not entered on the AAD site for NARA. Additionally found his discharge paper. It shows he was wounded in Germany in 1945. But it shows nor POW record on his actual discharge document. But I know there are additional places to look separately for those records.



          Field TitleValueMeaning
          SERIAL NUMBER4401107744011077
          GRADE, ALPHAPFCPrivate First Class
          GRADE CODE7Second Lieutenant or Nurse or Dietitian or Physical therapy aide or Private First Class or Ensign or Second Class, Seaman
          SERVICE CODE
          ARM OR SERVICEINFInfantry
          DATE REPORT: DAY (DD)0606
          DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM)0303
          DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y)51945
          TYPE OF ORGANIZATION740Branch Immaterial/Infantry Division Band/Dental Corps/Medical Department
          PARENT UNIT NUMBER03200320
          PARENT UNIT TYPE06Group/Regiment/Commands/System
          AREA72European Theatre: Germany
          LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY (DD)2626
          LATEST REPORT DATE: YEAR (Y)51945
          SOURCE OF REPORT1Individual has been reported through sources considered official.
          STATUS8Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated


          Name:Robert L Edwards
          Marital status:Single, without dependents (Single)
          Birth Year:1925
          Nativity State or Country:North Carolina
          Residence:Duplin, North Carolina
          Education:4 years of high school
          Civil Occupation:Farm hands, general farms
          Enlistment Date:24 Aug 1944
          Enlistment Place:Fort Bragg, North Carolina
          Service Number:44011077
          Branch:No branch assignment
          Component:Selectees (Enlisted Men)
          Source:Civil Life



          Hope this helps,


          Elliot Schneider

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking POW information for Robert Edwards
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Ms. Chadwick,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the series World War II Prisoners of War Data File, 12/7/1941-11/19/1946. We identified one file for PFC Robert L. Edwards, but as Mr. Schneider has noted, the name of the camp is not listed. More information about these records may be located here in the National Archives Catalog. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) at cer@nara.gov for assistance with these records.


            Next, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series European Name Index to the Series "Case Files, 1944-1949" in the Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Army) (Record Group 153). The index has been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog. We identified several references to “Edwards, Robert Pfc.” and “Edwards, Robert Leslie” on images 584-589 of this file. The records related to the case numbers identified on three of the index cards may be located in the series Case Files, 1944-1949 in Record Group 153. Case 12-1539 is in box 363, Case 12-1810 is in box 391, and Case 12-1969 is in box 403. The records related to the other three index cards may be located in the series Persons and Places Dossier Files, 1945-1948 in Record Group 153. Case 100-427 is in box 40, Case 100-805A is in boxes 63-81, and Case 100-905 is in box 84. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about them.


            Finally, if you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of your father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDE & RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            • Re: Seeking POW information for Robert Edwards
              B E Wayfarer

              Was he forced to do forced labour in Germany? If yes, this site could be a starting point for your research in Germany. You can email them in English.