1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 10, 2020 10:58 AM by Cara Jensen

    Seeking naturalization records for Be Thi Claussen

    Larry Claussen Newbie

      I am trying to find naturalization records for my grandmother, Be Thi Claussen.  I have found, via Ancestry.com, a scanned index card in the U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) for Index to Naturalizations of the US District Court for the District of Hawaii, 1900-1976.  The card states Claussen, Be Thi    P-49613, Date filed 12/9/1975. That is all the information I can find.  Where can I search for the actual record?

        • Re: Seeking naturalization records for Be Thi Claussen
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Claussen,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For access to the records of U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii, please contact National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB) via email at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov and request a search for your grandmother’s naturalization records by including the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RW-SB. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).


          Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!