2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2020 5:37 PM by Rich Venezia

Seeking US Passport Supporting Documents

Micah Boyd Newbie

I have been researching my great grandfather on my mothers side and his two siblings. They were born in the US in the early 1900's to Polish migrants but moved to Poland at a young age. They lived in Poland with their grandparents until they returned to the US as adults in the early 1920's. I know this because I managed to find their US passport applications they submitted to the US consulate in Warsaw. The applications state that a few forms of ID were included in the application, such as a local Polish ID and an affidavit. However in the sources I found these applications these documents where not included.

A few years back I posted this same question on History Hub seeking assistance to locate the supporting documents for my great grandfather. Unfortunately none of the supplemental documents were kept with the application and I am still seeking records of these documents today, particularly his Polish ID.

However this time I am seeking assistance in helping locate the passport applications of his two siblings, Michal and Stephania, who also submitted their passport applications at the US Consulate in Warsaw around the same time. My hope is perhaps their applications will include more information than my great grandfather's and will help me learn more about their time in Poland.

So as before I was wondering if someone could help me locate these records or knew where I could look to find them to see if they have any supplemental documents attached. I found the passport applications on ancestry.com, so below I am citing them in their respective formats.

Thank you once again for your help.

Passport Application for Michal Zwirecki:

1923 US Passport Application - Michal Zwirecki

1923 US Passport Application - Michal Zwirecki Page 2

Source Citation

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington D.C.; Volume #: Volume 007: Poland

Source Information

Ancestry.com. U.S., Passport Applications, 1795-1925 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.

Original data:  Selected Passports. National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Passport Application for Stephania Zwirecki:

1924 US Passport Application - Stephania Zwirecki

1924 US Passport Application - Stephania Zwirecki Page 2

Source Citation

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington D.C.; Roll #: 2620; Volume #: Roll 2620 - Certificates: 467350-467849, 11 Aug 1924-13 Aug 1924

Source Information

Ancestry.com. U.S., Passport Applications, 1795-1925 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007.

Lastly I am including the passport application my great grandfather, Jan Zwirecki, in case something new comes up:

1923 US Passport Application - Jan Zwirecki

1923 US Passport Application - Jan Zwirecki Page 2

Source Citation

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington D.C.; Roll #: 2339; Volume #: Roll 2339 - Certificates: 326850-327349, 24 Jul 1923-25 Jul 1923

Source Information

• Re: Seeking US Passport Supporting Documents
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Boyd,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The records available on Ancestry are digital images of the entire passport application files. As stated in a reply to you from RDT2 in May 2018, there are no other documents attached to these three applications.

The Department of State requests documentation such as a birth certificate, baptismal record, or other forms of identification for proof of who is applying for the passport. At that time after the application was processed, it was the practice to return all supporting documents back to the individual via mail.

We hope this is helpful.

[Information provided by Cate Brennan, Subject Matter Expert]

• Re: Seeking US Passport Supporting Documents
            Rich Venezia Newbie

Based on NARA's 2018 response to you, it seems like the following records may have been searched by the NARA reference staff at that time, All are only available on-site at the National Archives at College Park, Maryland. They need to be investigated in-person.

Passport Cutter Files (officially known as “Passport Correspondence, 1910 – 1925”)

Passport and Citizenship Correspondence Files, 1906 – 4/1925

Passport Master Index, 1/1/1906 – 12/31/1959

• RG 59, Entry P-918,https://catalog.archives.gov/id/45512452
            • This one index indexes several series of records - both of those mentioned above, as well as Passport Applications, 1906 – 3/1925 (online at Ancestry.com and other places), some Decimal Files, 1910 – 1949, and Granted passport applications still held with the Department of State, 4/1925 – 12/1959

Hope that's helpful! I would definitely recommend looking into these two series of records for the information you're seeking.

--Rich Venezia