6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2020 11:47 AM by Pauline Jacques

Seeking letters for Patent No 673605 (1901)

Pauline Jacques Newbie

Who presented letters for Patent No. 673605 in 1901? I would like to have a bit of history about that event. Thank you

• Re: Seeking letters for Patent No 673605 (1901)
            Pauline Jacques Newbie

Questions to find out a bit of the story regarding those pliers

Granby, Quebec - December 2020

Thank you so much for such a fast response.

If possible, we would like to find out what went on before the patenting of the pliers and where our grand-father was working or what he was doing.

Here is our request: we are a family of five (5) living persons and when the last son of our grand-father Isaie (our uncle) passed away, we discovered those papers (letters patent) and a tool (exactly like the picture) which tool was engraved with the date May 07, 1901. It was the first time we were seeing this plier and the documents pertaining to said tool. As indicated in the documents that you published on this forum, this tool was invented by our grand-father Isaie Jacques while he was living in the States.

What we can tell you as per the 1900 American Census is that he was a machinist in Whitinsville (1900-1901) we think,   and he married Anna Roy in August 1901 in North Uxbridge, Mass.; during the same year, he returned to Canada because my grandmother gave birth in the Province of Quebec. He travelled a few times to the States.

Could it be possible someone on this forum can give us some information about the procedures to follow for Isaie to be able to ask for letters patent for the pliers in 1901? Can we find how to do it, the kind of information an "inventor" would have had to get at the time and what sort of obstacles would prevent him from marketing a product that had obtained its letters patent?

We are asking ourselves if it's possible he would have sold his rights while keeping the originals (tool and letters patent), always referring to the habits of 1901?  Maybe some documents could enlighten us on the course of events at that time.

Of course it would be more than amazing if you had any information either on the law firm or any other information relevant to our grandfather. If you cannot give us this information, can you refer us where we could try to unravel our mystery, please?

Pauline Jacques,

for the Jacques family.

P.S.:  We just want to get the story of how it happened.

If you wish to have this text translated in French, I can do it.

Pauline Jacques Newbie

Thank you very much for all that information. I will read it carefully. Have a great week.

Paulipe70

Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Ms. Jacques,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Patent Case Files, 1/1/1836-12/31/1978 in the Records of the Patent and Trademark Office (Record Group 241). Each patent case file may include the file jacket, issued patent specification and drawings, petition, applicant's initial specification, oath of invention, applicant's drawings, amendments to the specification, powers of attorney, reports by patent attorney, notice of allowances, receipt for fees, and correspondence with the inventor(s) and their attorneys. Most of these records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

We also identified the series Official Gazettes, 1/1/1872-8/28/2001 from Record Group 241 that may include published information about the patent. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov with any questions you might have about these records. Volume 95, which is available online via Google Books, contains several references to Isaie Jacques that may be helpful for your research. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, we searched Google Patents, which includes records indexed from the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and located 3 records related to Isaie Jacques that may be of interest to you.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Pauline Jacques Newbie

Good day,

Here is what I sent to the Kansas City Archives a little earlier. Thanks for all this information.

Pauline Jacques and family.  I changed my avatar. This is the photo of my grand-father.

"Letters Patent: 673,605 patented May 7, 2901.

Good day

Ms Rachael Salyer sent the herein paragraph on December 10, 2020 (with more very interesting subjects) and we thank her greatly. We would be very much interested in having someone make a file for us with all the following information that I underlined (and more if necessary).

"We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Patent Case Files, 1/1/1836-12/31/1978 in the Records of the Patent and Trademark Office (Record Group 241). Each patent case file may include the file jacket, issued patent specification and drawings, petition, applicant's initial specification, oath of invention, applicant's drawings, amendments to the specification, powers of attorney, reports by patent attorney, notice of allowances, receipt for fees, and correspondence with the inventor(s) and their attorneys. Most of these records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov for access to and information about these records."

We would like to have the costs of such an assignment before and if we agree, to have the whole mailed to us in Canada.

I also have to explain to you that my grand-father was born in Ste-Cecile de Milton in the Province of Quebec and it is the town's 175th anniversary in 2021. They want to pay tribute to the inventor that created this vise-grip 120 years ago in 2021.

Your attention to this matter would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Pauline Jacques and family

Granby, Québec - December 14th, 2020"