4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2020 8:12 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking service records of Charles Henry Hardy, Jr.

    Jessica Hardy Newbie

      I am looking for service records for Charles Henry Hardy Jr.  I need the starting and ending dates of service and his service identification number. Thank you.

        • Re: Seeking service records of Charles Henry Hardy, Jr.
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

          Ms. Hardy,


          Do you have any additional information on your individual such as DOB and place of birth.






          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking service records of Charles Henry Hardy, Jr.
            J. Andrew Scout

            Service records might be any number of places based on when he served and branch of service. We get questions on this forum about everything from the American Revolution to last decade.  Can you at least narrow down which general decades he served?  Or a particular war, such as WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War, etc.? Also, what branch of service?  Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, or Merchant Marine? Do you know where he lived at the time he enlisted?


            • Re: Seeking service records of Charles Henry Hardy, Jr.
              joan stachnik Tracker

              Hi Jessica, if the person you are looking for served in World War II, the National Archives online US Army Enlistment database lists 10 individuals named Charles H Hardy (see link below).  The information includes date and place of enlistment (although the database is not complete). Hope this is of some help. joan



              • Re: Seeking service records of Charles Henry Hardy, Jr.
                Jason Atkinson Ranger

                Dear Ms. Hardy,


                Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

                While there are a number of resources on Access to Archival Database, Ancestry, and elsewhere that might have this information, in order to know which database to search and in order to narrow down the results to the correct person, we would need more information such as his date of birth, place of birth, hometown when in service, branch of service, general era of service (WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, etc.), date of death (if applicable), and whether he was an officer or enlisted.


                In regards to requesting his service records, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form which you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire.


                If he separated from service less than 62 years ago, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.  The next-of-kin is defined as any of the following: the unremarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran. To access the full file, next-of-kin must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home, or a published obituary. For more information see Access to Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) - Veterans and Next-of-Kin.


                If his date of separation was more than 62 years ago, the records are open to the public and no proof of death is required to access the records. For more information, see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


                Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


                We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!