1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 9, 2020 1:23 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking automobile registrations in Office of Military Government, Bavaria

Stephen Diamond Newbie

I read an article in The New York Times about an undeveloped roll of Film found in a camera. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/world/europe/ireland-lost-film-developed.html?surface=most-popular&fellback=false&req… The roll has photos of a car and it's license plate from the American occupied zone in Bavaria. I am new at researching government records. I found some records relating to the occupation in Bavaria, but no car records. Can anyone suggest where more specifically I should look?

• Re: Seeking automobile registrations in Office of Military Government, Bavaria
          Rachael Salyer Scout

Dear Mr. Diamond,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Records relating to automobiles and licensing in the American-occupied zone in Bavaria most likely fall under the purview of the Office of Military Government, Bavaria’s Transportation Division (ca. 1945-7/1/1948) and the subsequent Office of the Transport Advisor (7/1/1948-6/30/1949). Please review a description of these offices in the National Archives Catalog.

We searched the National Archives Catalog  and located the series Records Related to License Applications, 1946-1946 from the Records of U.S. Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 260) was created by the Transportation Division. We also located 7 series created by the Office of the Transport Advisor in Record Group 260. Please note that these records most likely contain administrative, planning, and policy information and are not likely to include information about individual people or vehicles. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about them, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from  RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!