1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2020 10:54 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking records of 352nd Volksgrenadierdivision

Michael Hornung Newbie

Hello! I´m studying the history how WWII ended in my home region in Germany during 1945. The 352nd Volksgrendadierdivision had several battles in my area. I already found some documents in German and in English on fold3, so I know that there are documents available. But how do I find such documents at the US National Archives? Can you gave me a hand? I already searched for "Volksgrendadierdivision" and other terms in the form, but I did not found anything useful. Thank you very much for any help.

• Re: Seeking records of 352nd Volksgrenadierdivision
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear Mr. Hornung,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We located records of the 352nd Volksgrenadierdivision on Microfilm Publication T315 titled Records of German Field Commands and Divisions in the National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized (Record Group 242). There is a finding aid to these microfilmed records, the so-called "German Guide" that may be viewed online. To view the “German Guide” associated with this microfilm publication, please follow these steps: (1) go to www.archives.gov; (2) click “Research Our Records;” (3) Go to “Other Online Research Tools;” (4) click “Microfilm Catalog;” (5) in the first search box (Search by Microfilm Publication Number or Keyword) enter the microfilm publication number (e.g.T315) in the search box and click “search;” (6) click the hyperlinked title of the publication; (7) click “View Important Publication Details” (an Adobe PDF document will open). Information about records on the 352nd Volksgrenadierdivision is located on T315Q PDF document. For access to these microfilmed records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov  A complete list of Microfilm Publications of captured records may be viewed at: https://www.archives.gov/research/captured-german-records/foreign-records-seized.html

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Also, you may wish to contact the Bundesarchiv Abt. VI - Militärarchiv, Wiesentalstraße 10, 79115 Freiburg, Germany for German military information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!