1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2020 10:59 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking naturalization records for Settimio Mattioli

Maria Mattioli Newbie

I am researching historical information to obtain dual citizenship with Italy. I would like to obtain these two documents for my grandfather who immigrated to the US, so I may present  these official copies to the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles: A) DECLARATION OF INTENTION/PETITION FOR NATURALIZATION (certified copy) issued by the National Archives and B) NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE.

I have some details from a document found online I am certain this is my grandfather and I found an image of his tombstone. His name was Settimio Mattioli  and he was born on April 14, 1898 in Subbiano, Italy. He died in 1978 in Eagle River, Vilas Wisconsin.  He was naturalized on September 3, 1942. His Petition Number is 161565. A/R Number is 3688352. I am not sure --I believe the C-file is 5524319. Can anyone be certain this is his c-file number from the image below?  I got this information from documents imaged on ancestry.com. I am not sure how to order the declaration of intention/petition for naturalization certified copy? But, I think I know I need to go to USCIS for the B) Naturalization Certificate. And then I will also pursue the many other documents needed. (His marriage and death cert. his wife's birth and death cert. My dad & mom's certs. and my cert. )  Thank you

Affiliate Publication NumberM1285
      Affiliate Publication TitleSoundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for U.S. District & Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950
      Affiliate Film Number121
      GS Film Number1432121
      Digital Folder Number004641190
      Digital Folder Number004641190
      Image Number00528
      Indexing Project (Batch) NumberG01302-5
      Citing this Record

"Illinois, Northern District Naturalization Index, 1840-1950," database with images, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XKGX-XGT : 6 March 2020), Settimio Mattioli, 1942; citing Chicago, Illinois, NARA microfilm publication M1285 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 121; FHL microfilm 1,432,121.

• Re: Seeking naturalization records for Settimio Mattioli
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Mattioli,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Beginning on September 27, 1906, the responsibility for naturalization proceedings was transferred to the Federal courts.  For access to the records of Federal courts in Illinois, please contact the National Archives in Chicago (RM-CH) via email at chicago.archives@nara.gov and request a search for your grandfather’s naturalization records by including the name of petitioner (including known variants); date of birth; approximate date of entry to the US; approximate date of naturalization; where the individual was residing at the time of naturalization (city/county/state); and country of origin.  Since you have the index information, please provide RM-CH with the same information you posted on History Hub.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-CH. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

Certificates of citizenship were issued by the Federal courts until October 1991 when INS took over responsibility for naturalization proceedings. All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created since September 27, 1906 and may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

The Embassy of Italy in Washington, D.C., has advised the USCIS that applicants for dual citizenship are not required to provide certified copies of naturalization certificates obtained from USCIS.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!